Pet nutrition is important throughout the year and even more so at Christmas. To help you take the best care of your pet, we have a special offer for pet owners to stock up on our recommended pet food brands this Christmas.
- Buy 2 (7.5kg or 15kg) bags of Burns Pet food and get one free.
- Special Christmas Offer – Buy two (>6kg) bags of Hills Pet Food and get one free.
This offer is available until Dec 31st, before a scheduled price increase for 2019.
Around Christmas time it is wise to remember that there are additional dangers for pets with all the extra food and Christmas accessories. Remember to keep your dog away from chocolate, Christmas Pudding, alcohol and cooked bones. Also be careful of Mistletoe, Poinsettia and Ivy as these are mildly toxic and can cause vomiting, drooling , diarrhoea and other symptoms.
Do remember if your pet needs a bit of help to lose some pounds, please do book a free weight consultation with our nurses today.
Also please see some helpful tips below on how to keep your pet healthy with the recommended nutrition all year long.
How to keep your dog healthy with the right nutrition
Providing the correct nutrition for your pet is a vital aspect of maintaining its health. Significant advances have been made recently in the formulation of complete dry pet foods.
There are a confusing number of different brands available to the pet owner. These vary considerably in quality and price. We recommend Hills Science Plan Diets and Burns Diets.
The benefits of dry food include:
- They are formulated from high quality ingredients ensuring digestibility.
- The 90% digestibility also means very little waste (faeces! – 10%) compared to other
more fibrous foods (average 70%).
- The high digestibility also means that significantly less food needs to be eaten per day,
consequently reducing food costs when compared to some “cheaper” foods.
- The quality of the ingredients ensures a glossy coat, together with the development of
healthy bones and teeth.
- The availability of specific formulations for all ages of dogs and cats means that your
pet gets the optimum nutrition for each life stage. Supplements are not normally
- Feeding a DRY food is also convenient for you as the food does not “go off” in the
bowl and helps keep your pet’s teeth clean.
While these premium foods do cost a little more, their high digestibility means that considerably less is required per day so that in cents per day they are very competitive. Bearing in mind the cost of tinned food and considerable discounts on larger bags of dry food, together with the fact that these foods are top of the range, the value of feeding these foods is evident.
How to help your pet to change to a new type of food
- Gradually introduce any new food over a 5 – 10 day period, mixing it initially with the old food and gradually increasing the new food and phasing out the old.
- Always ensure fresh water is available, but try not to wet the food, as it is better for the teeth if the food is fed dry. As a rule, milk is best avoided.
- Try to get your pet into a routine with its meals, avoid diet changes and treats can occasionally be given as a reward.
If you have any questions regarding your pets diet and nutrition, please give us a call on 021 489 3033 and we can help you create a healthy eating plan for your pet.
We have a range of helpful fact sheets and FAQ’s here to help you take the best care of your pet