The joy of New Year parties isn’t necessarily shared by our pets. Some cats and dogs can find this to be a very stressful time. With the bright lights and loud noises associated with fireworks, pets can find it very hard to cope.
Here a few pet tips to help keep your pet safe and calm this New Year.
- Play some music to distract them from the noise. Classical music is recommended.
- Leave the lights on indoors and close the curtains to minimise the flashes of light they see.
- Create a safe place/Den for your pet to hide with bed, blankets and toys.
- Stay home with your pet if possible so they are not alone and distract them by playing with them.
- Keep any outdoor pets inside.
- Remember to check your dog is microchipped and that the contact information is up-to-date.
This infographic provides some additional helpful pet tips – Help-Your-Pet-Celebrate-a-Fear-Free-New-Year
We recommend two products to help reduce anxiety in pets Sileo and Adaptil. Both of these products can help relax your pet during times of stress. If you are concerned about your pet, please call us on 021 489 3033 and we can discuss these options with you.